State Board of Examiners
IMPORTANT Residential Fire Sprinkler Contractor class information
This class is required for active plumbers who wish to obtain the Residential Fire Sprinkler Installation Contractor license. Applicants must submit a completed license application, class registration, and the required fees at least four weeks in advance of th class date. Applicants must also score a minimum of 70 on the exam given at the conclusion of the class in order to be eligible to obtain the license.
The class scheduled for June 13 & 14, 2013 in Charlotte has been cancelled.
The class scheduled for October 23 & 24, 2013 in Greensboro will be the only class held this year. If a sufficient number of student pre-registrations and applications are not received by September 24, 2013, this class may also be cancelled due to lack of interest.
Click on the Exam Information button in the menu on the left for more details.
Online License Renewal and Payment is now available!
Click Here to log-in (MasterCard and VISA only)
Click Here for a step-by-step Online Tutorial in Adobe PDF format.
Click here for a free download of the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader
Renewal of Expired License
All licenses issued by the Board expire on December 31st of each year. There is no "grace period"...no activities requiring a license may be performed until the license is renewed. If not renewed by January 31st, a $25.00 late processing fee will apply.
You may now renew online by clicking the link above. If you choose to mail in or deliver your renewal to the office, renewals are processed in the order that they are received. Please allow 2-3 daysfor processing after the form and payment is received in our office.
Continuing Education Not Required for Annual License Renewal
Licensees are no longer required to attend continuing education courses that have been approved by the Board as a condition of annual renewal. The Board strongly encourages all licensees to periodically attend continuing education classes in order maintain and increase your knowledge within your respective trades. In order to assist our licensees in locating continuing education classes, our website will soon list the names, types of classes, and contact information of the providers who notify the Board staff that they will be offering continuing education classes.
- To protect the public health, safety and welfare by prescribing the standard of competence, experience and efficiency of applicants for license by examination.
- To enforce the statutory requirement of General Statutes 87, Article 2 and Board Rules set forth in 21 NCAC 50.
- To hold open hearings for the benefit of licensee and the general public.
- Insure applicants meet minimum qualifications to be licensed for contracting in plumbing, heating and fire sprinkler trades.
- Hold licensed contractors accountable for complying with Chapter 87, Article 2, and Board Rules.
- Assist licensed Plumbing, Heating and Fire Sprinkler contractors in providing competent workmanship to the general public.
- Manage Board funds in a responsible, fiscal manner that provides a balanced budget and necessary emergency operating fund.
|February 12||June 11||October 11*|
|April 26*||August 13||December 10|
|* April 26th: Kill Devil
* October 11th: Hendersonville, NC
|January 8||May 14||September 10|
|February 11||June 10||October 10*|
|March 12||July 9||November 12|
|April 25*||August 12||December 9|
Disclaimer: The State Board of Examiners of Plumbing, Heating, and Fire Sprinkler Contractors (the Board) has made every effort to insure the accuracy of the information provided on its web site. However, due to the possibility of data entry errors, omissions, unauthorized modification of the data, transmission errors, HTML browser incompatibilities, changes made since the last update to the web site or other aspects of electronic communication that are beyond the Board's control, the Board does not guarantee the accuracy of the information provided on its web site and is not liable for reliance on this information.
Please contact the Board at 919-875-3612 if you have any questions concerning the information on this site, or if you need additional information.